In Philadelphia in 1830 Louis Antoine Godey (1804-1878) commenced the publication of Godey’s Lady’s Book which he designed specifically to attract the growing audience of American women. The magazine was intended to entertain, inform and educate the women of America. One of the most popular features of Godey's Lady's Book was the beautifully illustrated hand-colored fashion plates depicting the latest in women's fashions were published. More than 150 women were employed to hand tint the plates for each issue.
In 1830 in Philadelphia, Louis Godey first published Godey's Lady's Book as the Lady's Book. In 1837 Godey bought the Ladies Magazine of Boston and made its editor, Sarah Josepha Hale, the literary editor of his periodical. In matters of fashions, etiquette, home economics, and standards of propriety, Godey's was the last word. Godey's Lady's Book continued to flourish throughout the Civil War under the long editorship of Mrs. Sarah Hale, but by 1877, Louis Godey sold the magazine and Mrs. Hale retired. The magazine was purchased by several owners and in 1898 ended its 68 year existence.